Well, it been a while since I have been on the no-sugar journey ( 3months plus). As in no artificial-white- sugar, no table sugar and almost negligible intake of cakes, cookies and shop-manufactured-Indian sweets.
Journey so far: Great. Surprisingly no sugar-craving post a meal ( which was a habit with me, previously). A spoon of non-industrail-honey ( read organic / or honey from smaller traditional apiaries) on days when I feel like something sweet, satiates completely. Sometimes a small cube of dark-chocolate.
Taste buds: Sharper taste for sure; I can spot sugar even in very small quantities if put in a dish ( some Indian preparations have the requirement).
- Gradual weight-loss. Weight which had plateaued for several years gradually slid off..melted away; without doing too much really.
- More energy; yes, that’s true! Sugar giving energy is a BAD myth; it does not. Have it in the natural form via fresh-fruits, dry fruits, honey.
- Better skin…yes, this came as a surprise.
- Better digestion.
- Hardly any PMS !
- Calmer.. ha! Just the other day I discovered the Buddha in me 😉
Everyday simple tips which worked for me:
- Home-cooked meals, mostly made the traditional way. ( which means fresh ingredients; no previously canned/ paste/ pureed stuff)
- Simple exercise; currently yoga 3-days a week for just an hour.
- I eat everything, including the much maligned white-rice and regular toned milk and full cream yogurt; and hey I have still managed to shave off the plateaued pounds! The food satiates, and that is why I do not have hunger cravings. Portion control is of course important.
- Be consistent ( No binging)
- Last but not the least, with Christmas round the corner, I am indulging in a glass of wine occasionally and enjoying it the most!
Try the no-sugar-journey; it is fun! Your body and soul will thank you for it. Yes, you can take my word for that; having experienced it myself.
Golden words … completely agree..
There’s a huge emotional component to weight loss.